A Week's Worth of Fun
Well, dear friends, I apologize that I have not been able to keep up with this blog as I had hoped. Please know that I will still continue to do my best, electricity permitting.
The last few days have been interesting due to a major electric problem. The strange thing about this is that if I was living in "the bush" of Africa and we were not counting on having electricity for refrigerators, freezers, computers, etc., electricity itself would not be an issue. Since we live in the city, however, and electricity is a bit more common place, we tend to count on being able to freeze meat, use a toaster, and send e-mails (or in my case, post blog entries! :-)) This has not been the manner in which the last three days have gone though. On Monday, I was taken by a dear missionary friend away from secondary school assembly to attend to what at that time was our second MAJOR over-voltage in two days. The first over-voltage fried my roommate's computer cord (despite the fact that she had a high volt guard attached to it), killed a voltage regulator and a transformer, and possibly destroyed a computer of another compoundmate. Fortunately, the Monday over-voltage found our house with few things plugged in (due to previous extreme precautionary choices) and little but the smell of burning plastic and smoke lingering in the air. All of these over-voltages blew our electricity completely until late last night. Ahh well. I find reading/eating by candlelight to be more and more appealing everyday.
Besides the electricity issues, things are going well. School is in full swing and I have been enjoying one-on-ones with my special education children as well as helping out in the reception class. I have realized, however, how hard it must be for a special needs student to function in an educational world. The way that things are taught somehow does not relate to their reality or pattern of thinking. This is my challenge for the year: to transfer all theories of western education into something workable for kids who don't think in the traditional way and to teach them about Jesus as we go along. Along these lines, I had a wonderful discussion with one of my students about hell, forgiveness and repentance, and how God is the light. It's awesome to be able to incorporate Christian teachings into the school day! Please pray that the Lord would give me insight into how to teach these children and that my life would be an example of the goodness and grace of Christ!
Another highlight: Bible Study Fellowship (BSF). Dar has a chapter and it's essentially all African women plus two of my friends and me and three other white women who are working in Dar, one of whom is the teaching leader. It's so exciting to be able to study the Bible with a group of African people and hear the Word of God from their perspective. It's also an awesome opportunity to encourage the Body of Christ in Africa in all that the Lord has for them! More on that and the relationships that the Lord builds as time goes on...
One thing to be praying for is doors to share the Gospel. While I am continuing with my swahili lessons, the language acquisition process takes much longer than I would like. I realize now the reprocussions of sin as far back as the Tower of Babel and the hindrance that was created when God caused everyone to speak different languages. Having to learn another language to share the Gospel is truly a consequence of the fall, and let me tell you, being in a place where they do not speak your language really shows you how far you can get in conversation with "hello" and "how are you?" Anyway, I praise the Lord for giving me good Swahili teachers and a desire to learn the language, but I would also ask you to pray for provision of means to minister. For example, I have had it on my heart to do an outdoor worship concert on a street in a poor area. My friend Cathleen plays guitar and djembe, my friend Laura and I love to sing, and several youth at HOPAC could get involved playing instruments or singing. We have received a HUGE box of free Swahili tracts and Gospels of John to pass out and people are oh so willing to take any material you have. The one thing missing is someone to preach a short Gospel message after our worship service. If you would pray that God would provide that individual in accordance with His will, I would much appreciate it.
Thank you for your prayers, support, your e-mails (you know who you are!) and for following this blog. I'll post pictures next time!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home